AFAR Development Officer
Position posted to HRA website on 03/09/2021
NYC-Based Non-Profit Organization Funding Biomedical Research
The American Federation for Aging Research (AFAR), www.afar.org, is a leading, national non-profit organization whose mission is to support and advance healthy aging through biomedical research. Since 1981, AFAR has advanced basic research and breakthroughs in the science of healthy aging by awarding more than $184 million in support to talented MDs, PhDs, and students across the country. What AFAR supported scientists are learning today about the processes of aging will help us all live healthier, longer lives tomorrow—less susceptible to disease and disability.
AFAR is seeking a Development Officer with a proven track record of securing contributions. This individual will be responsible for the implementation of the organization’s development activities, working closely with the Executive Director and reporting to the Director of Strategic Communication, to envision, manage, and evaluate strategies to expand AFAR’s donor base, secure sponsorship for special initiatives and events, and deepen engagement with existing supporters. In 2021, AFAR is celebrating its 40th anniversary: the Development Officer will come on board at a particularly exciting time for both the organization and the field at large, as AFAR is expanding its initiatives and partnerships and scientific developments are poised to impact larger audiences.
The Development Officer will:
- Research and secure Sponsorship/Underwriting for special initiatives and related meetings such as webinars, symposia, and scientific meetings, as well as suggest new sponsorable opportunities.
- Conduct wealth screenings and develop prospect portfolio.
- Analyze and refine existing donor base to understand giving patterns and help refine new opportunities, framing, and/or incentives for giving.
- Lead research on target audiences or segments who can become donor prospects and assist with strategies to engage the target audiences.
- Conceptualize and manage large- and small-scale fundraising and engagement events, including but not limited to annual dinner, scientific symposia, and private cultivation events.
- Preparation of pitch materials such as solicitation letters and presentation decks.
- Manage the writing, strategizing, and scheduling of donor communications, including Year-End campaign and Foundation Renewals.
- Manage and communicate a development calendar to assure applications and reports are completed in a timely fashion and initiatives are progressing.
- Bachelor’s degree required. MPA or MBA desired.
- Minimum of three to five years fundraising experience at a disease specific or grant-giving, scientific research-focused, not-for-profit organization.
- Excellent proposal and/or grant writing skills required.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge, Prospecting Software Office, and E-marketing tools.
- Innovative, proactive, and resourceful thinkers preferred.
- Creativity with prospect researching and underwriting opportunities.
- Flexibility to shift between projects while driving schedules and strategies.
Salary competitive with excellent benefits package. To apply please send cover letter, salary requirements, and resume to: [email protected].
AFAR’s administrative offices are based in Manhattan. We anticipate a mix of remote and on-site work in 2021.
AFAR is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.