Many HRA members have as part of their missions to advance not only medical science but to also foster the next generation of scientists. HRA is committed to helping HRA members learn, share and implement strategies that will result in a stable and healthy scientific workforce.
Many issues affect Early Career Investigators disproportionality (like maternity leave, work-life balance, and career changes). But other issues such as creating a diverse scientific workforce and an inclusive research culture are critical for a sustainable and productive workforce spanning all career stages.
In addition to curated resources and events on diversity, HRA also has dedicated the Research Workforce and Early Career Development Working Group focused on helping HRA members build a diverse, motivated, and committed research workforce.
- Recommendations for Early Career Research Support Mechanisms
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Working Group call [September 10, 2020]
- HRA COVID Assessment Survey Questions
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Working Group call [July 9, 2020]
- National Institute on Minority Health & Health Disparities Director’s Update
- Discussion of the recent National Academies report on the Science of Effective Mentoring in STEMM [Webinar, December 18, 2019]
- Staff Scientist Panel [Webinar, May 20, 2019]
- Mentoring in the Research Workforce [Webinar, January 22, 2019]
- BEST (Broadening Experiences in Scientific Training) [Webinar, December 6, 2017]
- National Center for Advancing the Career Development of Scientists [Webinar, January 10, 2018]
- HRA Regional Meeting: Metro DC [October 16, 2018]
- How Funders Can Diversify the Healthcare Workforce [HRA Members Meeting, Spring 2018]
- Rescuing U.S. Biomedical Research from Its Systemic Flaws [Proceedings of the National Academies of Sciences, April 2014]
- Shaping the Future of Research: A Perspective from Junior Scientists [Webinar, September 2015]
- The Report Card for Gender Equality [New York Stem Cell Foundation, 2017]
- Seven Actionable Strategies for Advancing Women in Science, Medicine, and Engineering [Cell Stem Cell, March 2015]
- Approaches to Achieve Gender Equity in STEM Faculty: Successes, Hurdles and Opportunities for Collaboration [HRA Members Meeting. Spring 2016]
- Strategies for Increasing Diversity in the Workforce [HRA Members Meeting, Spring 2018]
- HRA members and their Career Development Awards [2016 Compilation – Excel Direct Download