During this crisis HRA is leveraging networks and partnerships with research institutions, other funding agencies, our researchers and others to provide valuable resources to the community. Please let us know if you have ideas for other ways HRA can help mitigate the effects of COVID-19.
HRA members shared how their organizations are preparing for or responding to COVID-19 via our listserv. We added that data to a broader set of responses compiled by a team at the Simons Foundation. The resulting spreadsheet has responses for a wide variety of funders. If you would like your organization added or your information edited please email Maryrose[at]healthRA[dot] org.
The final COVID19 Survey Report can be found here. It is extremely comprehensive and presents information about the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on HRA member organizations. I hope it proves valuable to HRA members and the broader community. Thanks to all the HRA organizations who submitted data and information via the online survey, the focus groups, or any other method. The high response rate allowed the consultants to provide a very robust analysis.
Below are the four highlights of the report’s conclusions. I encourage you to read the entire report. I plan to write a summary analysis and publish it more broadly. Please email Maryrose[at]healthRA[dot] org if you have suggestions about the focus of the analysis and where it will have the most impact.
- Flexibility is most important
- Widespread changes to staffing and organizational structures were not reported
- The impact of COVID-19 was not overwhelmingly negative (nor positive)
- Different experiences for Fundraising vs. Endowment
- How to Return to the Workplace Safely (from Safety.com)
- Post COVID-19 Recommendations for Early Career Research Support Mechanisms
- Open Mic: Innovation in Philanthropy [HRA Members Meeting, Virtual, Fall 2020]
- How are funders best supporting the biomedical enterprise by their response to the COVID-19 crisis? [HRA Members Meeting, Virtual, Fall 2020]
- HRA COVID Assessment Survey Questions
- Early COVID Financial Impact Survey
- National Institute on Minority Health & Health Disparities Director’s Update
- COGR Webinar on University Compensation Policies
- Transforming to Virtual Scientific Conferences
- Summary of Select Reopening Guidelines
- AFP Virtual Meeting Case Study 2020
- COVID-19 Funder Responses
- COGR’s FAQs and Resources on COVID-19’s Impact to Federal Awards
- Running a Successful Virtual Peer Review [Webinar, April 16, 2020]
- COVID-19 Resources for NIH Applicants & Recipients
- Funders of Health Research and Training Respond to Continuing Economic Challenges (May 2009)